Friday, March 13, 2009

'Tis Friday

... and the beginning of spring break!

Ironically, although my children need not follow a school schedule, our family still adheres to the academic schedule most of Austin follows, because my HUSBAND is in school. Funny, huh?

So tomorrow we head to San Antonio with relatives for a few days of fun in the sun-for-which-we-still-wait, and then we'll spend the second half of the week shivering in Boston and remembering why we usually love March in Austin!

This week we wrapped up our relaxed study of the American Revolution with a mini-celebration. Using Google Images (I'm in looooove!), I created Bingo cards with images of Paul Revere's Ride, George Washington, John Paul Jones, the Liberty Bell, etc. I'd give clues like "I'm famous for saying 'I have not yet begun to fight!'" and the children (mostly Ian) would call out the answer and cover a square.

We also made peanut butter cookies of no historical significance, and watched the old movie "Johnny Tremain." Oh, y'all. SO cheesy. So inferior to the book. But the young'uns liked it, especially the re-creation of the Battles of Lexington and Concord, so there's value in that.

I'm off to shepherd my herd into packing, with help from these lovely things. Does anyone else, even when packing with list, still suffer from this unreasonable anxiety that you're forgetting something very important and irreplaceable? I think once as a kid, I forgot to pack underwear or something, and life has never been the same.

3 comments:

Millennium Housewife said...

Oh my goodness, home schooling for three. You have my admiration! MH

Jared Dilg said...

Ah, Johnny Tremain! My mom had me read that book as well. I really enjoyed it, and watching the movie later was also a let-down.

Vanessa said...

Have a wonderful time in both places. Shall I still call you this week to pray?