Monday, October 5, 2009

I made this (and you can too!)


Seriously. I really did. Try not to collapse in a faint.

Not only the outfit, but the model inside. Of course, I had quite a bit of help with that one.

Which brings me to my point. Ahem.

How Sewing and Childbirth are Alike:

1. Childbirth is laborious work.

Sewing is laborious work.

2. Childbirth mystically connects you to millions of women who have traveled this earth before you, drawing you into its productive sisterhood. [Note: I remember thinking this very thing as I paced my front lawn under the stars, laboring to bring forth Eliza.]

Sewing (for one's children, especially) mystically connects you to millions of women who have traveled this earth before you, drawing you into its productive sisterhood.



3. When childbirth is accomplished [and considerable time has elapsed], you're so entranced by the cuteness of the finished product that you forget the words "NEVER AGAIN!" and start to think, "Hey, maybe I could do this again!"

When the sewing is accomplished, you're so entranced by the cuteness of the finished product that you forget the words "NEVER AGAIN!" and start to think "Hey, maybe I could do this again!"


4. After childbirth, you can't help but marvel at the tiny, detailed perfection of what you have wrought.

Um. Sewing is also a pastime.



[Time to give credit: directions for the skirt can be found here, complete with photos. T-shirt was made using a pumpkin stencil, fabric scraps, and something called Wonder Under. Can't help you with how the girl was made. Most of y'all are moms (I think). You've figured it out. Let me know if you make the skirt, though!]

11 comments:

Sarah Chappelle said...

Very, very cool! :) Hilarious, too. Love the model and the clothes. :)

Eclectic Mama said...

So, so cute! And the outfit is pretty cute too!

I love your comparison of sewing and childbirth. There are a few reasons why I'll be choosing sewing from now on:
1) If you hate the way it turns out, you can throw it in the trash. (Try doing that with a baby.)
2) You can stop in the middle of a project. (Try doing THAT with childbirth--even if you think you want to.)
3) The snipping and the stitching aren't nearly as painful in sewing.

Hannah said...

Touché, Camille! LOL! Thanks for writing the perfect complement to my post!

Era said...

Hi five on the sewing and a most enjoyable post :)

Michelle L said...

As someone who just took up sewing a few months ago and just gave birth for the first time, I really appreciate this post :-)

Kristen said...

That girl can strike a pose! And the outfit is very fetching. Can't wait to see it in person.

Kristen said...

That girl can strike a pose! And the outfit is very fetching. Can't wait to see it in person.

nicole said...

super cute outfit - super cute girl - super cute post! love love love.

Amy Tague said...

ADORABLE. I'll take 3, please. (Outfits... I already have the girls.) One in pink, one in purple, and one in yellow. Sizes 7, 5, and 3. Thanks! ;)

Vanessa said...

Love the model!!

Unknown said...

Okay, I really think you're going to have to change the name of your blog - it's never quite for me when I read your hilarious words! Oh, how I've missed my visits here.....btw, that is one darn cute skirt! Welcome to the sisterhood - although, can't say mine was nearly as cute, the skirt or the child - well, maybe the wee one - she's not so wee anymore, but boy is she good.