Friday, June 6, 2008

My Secret Life

Remember that Super Pal Universe article I'm writing?

I have to say, when I go to do my research for this things, I feel like Clark Kent stepping into the phone booth.

Mother arrives at the scene driving minivan, leaving her three children in the capable hands of their father, either at home or at the office. She's a homeschooler, so she may or may not be wearing calico and have fresh-baked bread in the oven -- you decide. ;-)
She enters the cable channel headquarters and ta-DA! She's whisked into a filming room where she's shown to a cushy red leather couch, smack in the front of the monitor, and a director's calling "Quiet on the Set!" and "Action!" and some teenagers with electric guitars are saying, "And we're Super Pal Universe!" twelve times in a row, and their nationally-famous mentor is squeezing onto the couch next to her and whispering a mile a minute about what's going on and making her feel like her best pal, and absolutely no one points at her and say, "Hey, what are YOU doing here?" as they quite rightly could.

Although I'm hardly the center of attention -- in fact, am quite happily NOT the center of attention -- this is all so out of my element I can't help feeling a little bit like Cinderella at the ball. I tell the kids I'm working, but it sort of feels like playing.

It's been fun. Here's hoping I can make some of that come across to the readers ...

1 comment:

Margo said...

I can't wait to read it! :)