Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Popovers

Well, I may have scored points with that coordinated outfit yesterday, but tonight I was definitely in the doghouse. The princess was weepingly furious with me since I declined her demand to suspend all dinner preparations and retire with her to read more chapters of The BFG. Can you imagine??? Truly, I am running Stalag 13 here.

There seemed no way out of this sobbing quagmire until she submitted her next demand: to cook something. On her own. With no recipe.

We compromised: She could wear her own apron and do the baking, but she needed to follow a recipe under my gentle guidance from her very own cookbook.

Out came Pretend Soup.



Following the pictures and simple instructions that I read aloud to her, she was able to assemble a fine batch of whole wheat, slightly under-puffed, popovers.

Behold the pastries that saved our dinner hour.

6 comments:

Vanessa said...

That smile of her's is priceless-a smile of accomplishment and pride!
Good job Lizey!!

nicole said...

LOVE the stalag 13 reference :)

nicole said...

wait i only loved it because i know it from Hogan's Heroes. was it real too? oh dear. im not trying to make light of the stalags.

Hannah said...

Yes, I totally meant Hogan's Heroes.

Although there is also a (non-funny) movie called Stalag 13, which, if you watch it, will help you understand where some of the HH jokes come from! Recommended.

Beck said...

Pastries. Is there anything they can't do?
Hey, your kid is cute! Cute AND she can bake. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

I will tell lauren...

Actually i read you all the time, sorry I haven't posted sooner...

batten down the hatches..
hugs P