Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Am Not Making This Up

So I was just out for a run in the middle of the afternoon. Which never happens. But it happened today (too cold in the morning, girls at friend's house, stars aligned just so.)

And I pass a kid, maybe six years old? hanging out  on his front lawn  with his bike. I wave and keep on going.

Then, over the sound of my iPod, I hear this "WHOOP! WHOOP!" Like an honest-to-goodness police siren, if the police car were six years old and somewhat adorable. I stop. I turn. Kid is pedaling after me like mad. I wait. Especially because I'm a mom and there's no other parent in sight.

Then I perceive that the kid is actually dressed like a police officer. Like, in a costume, maybe left over from Halloween or something. And with a complete  poker face, never ONCE cracking a smile, he gravely informs me that I was speeding and that he needs to write me a ticket.

Which he does.


Believe me when I say, as God is my witness, that no one has EVER IN MY LIFE faulted me for running too fast.

"I was running too fast?" I clarify with him, desperately swallowing a giggle.

"Yes."

"So ... should I ... walk?" (Because that is the only speed slower than my run, I'm pretty sure.)

"Yes." Still no smile.

"Be careful," he concludes, tucking his pad and pen away. "Lots of cops out today."

I walk until I'm pretty sure I'm out of his sight. Two tickets in one day would just be too much.

Running may not be my favorite thing ever. I may not ever enjoy it (although I DO plan to enjoy hobbling across that finish line next weekend). But has it enriched my life in so very many ways?

Oh, undoubtedly.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I'm still not about to take up running but... that IS darn cute!

Erica said...

I have to say, it has been a day of funny stories, and this definitely gave me another giggle.

Raji P. said...

Next time you get a speeding ticket can you take a picture of the cute cop? toooo cute!!!

~cjoy said...

I cannot keep a straight face. That kid would have hated me for it, but I bet I'd have grinned and choked on laughter....

em said...

*happy* This makes me S-M-I-L-E ! :)

Anne said...

Too good!

B. said...

ha! This is absolutely HILARIOUS. i love it. i wish we never grew up! (but then we couldn't appreciate the cuteness of kids...)

Stephanie said...

That is hysterical!

It seems as if funny blog posts are just accosting you on the street now. :)

Vanessa said...

I meant to comment on this when I read this last week. This is hysterical. I wonder what this child will be when he grows up?

CATHY CHAPATY said...

Too funny!

Naomi said...

This is the most hysterical and cutest thing EVER!!!

housebecky said...

if he ever cites you again, please ask for a photo w/ him. i would love to see his uniform and car!

housebecky said...

er, bike, i mean...

Danica Newton said...

Just found your blog via a repost on a friends fb. Hillarious!!! New follower :) (and I love the fact that you're in / around Austin, where I semi-grew up)