Monday, August 11, 2008

Go USA!

Oh my goodness, did y'all see the men's 400m relay last night? The one where the French, who bragged that they came to the Olympics to "smash the Americans", got crushed in a .08-second victory by THOSE VERY SAME AMERICANS???? Who were NOT favored to win? It was one of those Olympics moments you remember for years to come. We were watching it at the home of our friends the Meades, who also have three children being kept up way past bedtime, as we all snuggled under afghans on their enormous leather couch, fixated on the enormous TV. But for this race, let's just say the afghans came off! We were all screaming and hollering, and then laughing our heads off at the shot of Michael Phelps cheering and his teammate basically coming from behind and elbowing him out of the way for his moment in the spotlight!*

Les pauvres Francais. C'est dommage. Perhaps next time, not so much smack-talking. :-) (As the Americans learned the hard way from the Australians in Sydney, as I recall -- remember the air guitars?)javascript:void(0)

We were happy to add some medals to our USA Tally chart this morning!

But I must say, what's up with the totally family-inappropriate commercials during the early hours of the Olympics? There's no excuse for these violent clips from that new Christian Slater show (My Own Worst Enemy, I think it's called), for example, during the 7:00-9:00 time slot. We call out "eye pollution!" and our kids know to close their eyes, LOL! An angry letter to NBC is taking shape in my mind. Then again, just blogging about it makes me feel better ...

Time to go watch Michael Phelps again. And those other people who swim. There *are* other people who swim ... aren't there?

* If you missed it, my friend Acacia, who's over here watching tonight, reports that she found it on Youtube. But of course.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Loved the relay win, too! And I hear you about the violent spots during the breaks - I was just thinking that when I saw one just a few minutes ago.

Jenny said...

Agreed on the commercials...one of my top complaints about any sort of sports on TV.

Julie said...

Yeah U.S.A. for beating that smack talker!:) Totally agree with the inappropriate commercials! It's beyond sad, how de-sensitized people are getting that think that kind of commercial is just fine and appropriate for the olympics! LOL on the eye pollution! I'm going to borrow that!:)