Monday, May 4, 2009

The world's longest paper chain

I would love to fill everyone in on the lovely birthday party my dear family held for me yesterday, but unfortunately I'm feeling rather unwell tonight. Very tired, upset stomach, etc. Instead, I present for your viewing pleasure ... Five Children and It! No, not the Nesbit book, but a project undertaken by my five children-and-nieces, to set a world record for the longest paper chain. You can probably guess who was cracking the whip on this particular effort. I have some deep thoughts about why children engage in this kind of challenge, but those musings will have to wait until the tsunami in my belly subsides. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I must say that the kids thought that was the coolest thing EVER! :)

Jenny said...

Curious how you measured it!

My 3rd grade students attempted the world's longest paper clip chain earlier this year. LOL

Vanessa said...

Happy belated birthday Hannah! Hope you are feeling better.

Stephanie said...

Kids are awesome.

Your post reminded me of our childhood attempt to break the record for a 'Seven-Man Catamaran' (Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as this, but we were going to break the record.)

The stunt involved seven daring neighborhood kids, four skateboards, and one long sloping sidewalk with a 90 degree turn at the end.

We practiced daily. We made team t-shirts. But nobody called Guinness, and the Seven-Man Catamaran faded into obscurity.

But what a glorious summer!