Monday, June 27, 2011

The Gift of Hospitality

We entertained a few angels last week.

Some of them looked like this.





Was it always convenient to have six extra people in our house, cramming kids and dog into our own room, feeding the guests two meals a day, having very little access to my computer, and staying up late to talk when they arrived home from the church conference some were attending? 

Uh, no. 

Did the kids' rooms get massively cleaned and decluttered? Did I get to watch my daughters play with, and help care for a toddler? Was it oddly energizing to pour out the effort, learning a tiny bit more of Mary's spirit in a Martha week? Did we receive as much love and blessing as we gave, and then more? Did we mourn our guests' departure, feeling their permanent presence in our hearts and ours in theirs?

Definitely. Absolutely. Indubitably. 




244. Hospitality -- given and received.

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

2 comments:

Lydia said...

This is how I felt as well, Hannah. No, I didn't sleep nearly as much as I should have, and yes, I (mostly) put myself on the backburner for a week. But I couldn't have had a happier home! What a privilege. :)

nicole said...

love.

love love love.