Saturday, February 9, 2008

Excited/Terrified

Guess what? It turns out my publishing career hasn't completely shriveled up and expired after all! Two summers ago I wrote a day tripping column for the local parents' magazine, and the editor just contacted me a few days ago to ask if I could start writing again, effective immediately, for the next 6 months! Woo hoo! I said yes, of course, but then just as naturally I began to tremble. If you were a shrink pontificating on the Dr. Phil show or whatever, you'd say I was afraid of success, blah blah blah, but really I just get nervous at the thought of my writing being out in public, being evaluated, and being NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Which makes me not want to start. Which is the secret to my procrastination. (This is also why I procrastinate on my other creative endeavors, such as scrapbooking and cardmaking.)

However, I have dealt a blow to that monster by beginning today. I wrote 140 words so far, out of 500-word limit. I decided to just START, even if it wasn't good, and then stop when I ran out of inspiration. So there. I did it, while Tim and the kids put up the space trolley in the back yard. Yea!

3 comments:

Tim said...

She's back, and she's writing. Lookout world! (I hope we get some more Elizabeth Becker articles, too)

Jenny said...

Awesome! :)

And what's a space trolley? LOL

Tracee said...

Cool! I wish I knew what a space trolley was though, LOL!