Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Me Calvin. You Hobbes.

Caroline's alter ego of the day derives from her older brother's obsession. As we merrily filled 50 water balloons this morning on the patio (all of which were demolished within 5 minutes at the party, thank you very much), she informed me that she was Calvin, and I was Hobbes. For the rest of the day, I was expected to address her as such. If I lapsed, she'd remind me like this:
"'What are you doing, Hobbes?' says Calvin."

Ian used to do the exact same thing. Not the alter ego thing, he's never done that, but the narration, as if he's reading aloud a book about himself. "'Look at the dump truck, Mama!'... Ian shouted." It always made me want to scoop up his old-souled toddler self and cover him in kisses, and it turns out I'm still just as susceptible this time around.

I am way too bushed tonight to give particulars about the party or to regale you with my lofty reflections about my firstborn turning eight and all the life lessons he has inadvertently bestowed upon me. Maybe tomorrow. In the meantime, let's hear it for the CAFFEINE AND WATER BALLOONS party-planning strategy! Highly recommended!

3 comments:

Tracee said...

Happy Anniversary of Ian's Birth Day to you all!

Donna Baker said...

Happy Birthday to Ian! look forward to hearing how it went. for now...get some rest!

Donna Baker said...

oh I love Caroline's Me Calvin. You Hobbes - that was one of my FAVORITES growing up-I have a few of the books. the one that made me crack up for days was when Calvin's mom told him to take his bath...he proceeds to jump in the toilet & flush...his head is spinning and he says something like all done. YUCK but too funny to me!