Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bearing witness

Friends. My heart is brimming tonight. Pretty much to overflowing. 

I was given the very high honor today of attending the delivery of Sam and Vanessa's baby girl, Aliya Grace. It was so nice to feel that the experience of giving birth three times endowed me with some sort of intuitive sense of what to do when a woman is in labor. I mean, I don't feel like I'm really an expert in anything, but it just meant something to be able to contribute a bit, to lend a hand to a friend accomplishing one of the single greatest feats of womanhood -- of humanity, even. It helped that Vanessa, who did beautifully in labor, is so adept at stating/asking for exactly what she needs. May her daughter be similarly blessed.

Aliya is adorable, with round baby cheeks that beg to be kissed. Photos to follow. 

Then tonight. A short Facebook video. Our dear friend Joanne is fading in body, but not in soul or spirit, and as she sings, and flashes a wide smile at the camera, the life and light inside of her shine unwaveringly. If you're friends with me on Facebook, I think you can see it on my profile now. I suggest a tissue or two. 

New life, just beginning. Indestructible life, never ending. 




1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Thank you for being there :)