Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Pioneer Sampler

I just have to share that we are having a big old time with this book, which we snagged from the library but plan to own eventually:


It's a delightful hybrid of a storybook (following the daily life of a pioneer family living in the woods in the 1840's) and a craft/activity book. One of those precious tomes that captures the attention of ALL three children. Each chapter begins with a story, followed by some supplemental info presented in a more factual yet still engaging manner, and an activity suggestion or two. Just this week, we've made butter by hand, watched beekeepers online (hoping to take them to see a For Real one soon), and -- perhaps my favorite -- tried to beat the stopwatch, seeing how fast we could name then pioneer uses for corn. Are you aware that they used dried cobs for toilet paper? Are you? Huh?

(Contemplate THAT next time you think your "green" brand doesn't feel quite as soft as Charmin.)

Anyway, check it out!


3 comments:

Era said...

Corn cobbs, hmm. Very resourceful, but no thanks :)

~cjoy said...

My dad loves talking about corn cobbs: I heard it as a kid and my kids think it's hilarious now. I'll have to find that book, but in the meantime, I'll call my dad...

Anne said...

Thanks for the suggestion (the book - not the corn cobbs!). We'll definitely check this one out from our library!