Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hubble 3D!

Today, the children and I visited our local history museum to attend the IMAX showing of Hubble 3D.

We all loved it! Caroline thought it was oh-so-splendiferous that not only did they mention Andromeda, which she remembered all about from a recent co-op class, but also they showed an astronaut trying to make a burrito in zero G. Spoiler alert: His tortilla turns upside down and the filling stays put.

Maybe you had to be there. Trust me, those astronaut guys and gals are pretty funny.

Any time I read or hear about the sheer numbers involved in the ages and distances of stars, galaxies, baby solar systems about to be born from tadpole-like bodies in a far-off nebula, my brain starts to smell like burning rubber. The imagination, it simply cannot conceive of these numbers.

And why does footage of a shuttle lift-off ALWAYS make me tear up?

And finally. The best line in the whole movie? The shuttle crew is getting suited up and one of them looks at  the camera and says, "The last thing you have to do before you put on your helmet -- because once you do, you can't touch your face -- is scratch your nose." THANK YOU! I have thought about that dilemma for YEARS, I tell you. In fact, my face starts to itch whenever I see those bubbles around their heads. The shuttle will be roaring into action and you see those excited faces, about to soar where only a handful of humans have gone before, and amid my tears, all I can think is, "But what if his face starts to itch???" And I start scratching on their behalf.

Issues. Don't say I didn't warn you.

4 comments:

nicole said...

AWESOME!

Tim said...

...and the shuttle featured in the IMAX movie (Atlantis) recently landed for the last time and is headed for a museum. Sad.

~cjoy said...

My nose itches. Thanks a lot. ;D

Saints and Spinners said...

I want to see this! I'm a bit leery about how it's going to work with a daughter who's blind in one eye, and wish that they would have a traditional IMAX format for this film. Still, I want to experience this film in its full scale and enjoy the stars in a way it's hard to do in the city.

I hope there are visits to Mars in my lifetime.