Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Name is Hannah and I'm Addicted to Coconut Oil



 

Sometimes I write on commission. 

This simply means that someone sends me an email or a Facebook message and says, "Hey, will you write a post about ..."

Then I bow low from the waist and say gravely, "I am, dear madam, your humble servant."

So, a couple peoples wanted to know what might inspire me to order vast quantities of coconut oil. In truth, there are all sorts of reasons to consume coconut oil -- here's one list. In short, it's anti-viral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antidisestablishmentarianistic. 

Well, OK. Maybe not ALL of those things. 

It's also laden with medium-chain fatty acids -- the kind of fat that gives you energy instead of floating to rest on your hips. 

And now, without further ado, my personal enumerations of just how I use a bucket of pure tropical goodness:

1. Put it in fruit smoothies (Note: If you want your oil to actually taste coconutty, buy the unrefined stuff. Refined -- which is cheaper but not as tasty or nutritious -- is best in stir fries or anything that has no business tasting like your dream trip to Hawaii.)

2. Make this raw fudge, and eat embarrassing quantities thereof. 

3. Stick a spoon into it. Stick the spoon in your mouth. Swallow. Repeat. (Remember, it's antibacterial!)

4. Make your own deodorant. I add a couple drops of lavender essential oil. This works better than any "natural" deodorant I've tried, (by "it works," I mean that I don't sweat excessively and haven't lost any friends or spouses) and it contains none of that yucky aluminum stuff. 

5. Rub it on your face at night. (I've read it can be comedogenic, but I haven't found it to be particularly so.)

6. Bake it into quick breads, pancakes, cookies ... anything on the sweeter side. You haven't lived until you've eaten banana bread made with coconut oil. 

7. Use it as lip balm. 

8. Tame the hair frizzies with a teeny amount. 

And for many more uses, check out these links: 


P.S. Coconut oil  is so expensive at the health food store, you'd think it was made by tiny leprechauns. I recommend buying it in bulk online -- preferably by the gallon, or, if you have similarly afflicted friends, by the five-gallon, at Mountain Rose Herbs. VitaCost carries slightly smaller quantities if you're not quite ready to spring for the gallon. 

Hope that helps! I'd love to hear from other coco-nutty fans out there. 





11 comments:

Bethy Lynne said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Literally...And may I be the first to thank you for this post! :)

Anne said...

I've heard great things about coconut oil, some of it from you already! I'm inspired to give it a try - thanks for the links.

~cjoy said...

I am a newish cocunutty fan - as in the past 6 months or so. I discovered it's a safe, healthy soy-free, dairy-free "butter subsitute" when baking, cooking, etc. But I have been wanting to know more. And wah-lah, your post. I will dig much further into your links . . .

Nacole said...

SO funny, LOL funny! glad to have found your blog. im going to read often. love this info on coconut oil! stuff i needed to know! thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks Nacole! Happy to have you along.

JoAnn said...

"comedogenic"... you sent me to the dictionary for that one. So I probably won't use it on my face, since I am already prone to acne and have been since puberty, but it just might help my patches of psoriasis, so I will have to give it a try. Sounds like a cure-all for everything. When my recently purchased bottle of canola oil is all used up, I will see about getting some coconut oil. Grapeseed oil is also very healthful and good for a variety of ills.

Wingarstead said...

I too am an addict. Our 2 favorite coconut oil recipes:

http://www.wholegraingourmet.com/recipes/43-cookies/58-healthy-oatmeal-cookies.html

I use this recipe with unrefined coconut oil and all molasses and lots of nuts and raisins. I also add an extra egg for a bit more protein on the go. Sometimes I substitute 1/2 cup flaked coconut for the flour. They freeze great.

And the simplest is popcorn using unrefined coconut oil. http://livingthefrugallife.blogspot.com/2008/08/popcorn-cheap-snack.html

So yummy! Love the blog!

Unknown said...

Yes! Totally! I realized when I was making popcorn for the kids on the stove this afternoon that I forgot to include that favorite use.

Thanks Nicole! Am totally going to check out those cookies.

Hannah said...

Sigh. It's me, Hannah, commenting. Not Ian. SOMEONE keep signing me out of Google.

Julie said...

I'm a coconutty fan! I put it on my face every night too, and have not found it to be comedogenic either:) Love it! I'm about to try a homemade toothpaste recipe with it in it...

Vanessa said...

I just used it this evening in my cupcakes and they were fantastic! I may possibly go in with you if I keep using it for baking and lathering it all over my body :)