Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Book News

Penderwicks fans, rejoice! Jeanne Birdsall's latest volume hit stands today, and I for one can't wait to get my greedy little paws on a copy. Melissa, I'm teal with envy.

You do know the Penderwicks, right? Think a 21st century version of The Saturdays or other delightful, large-ish families. These girls are spirited, not sappy. They're more soccer games than tea parties. They have their differences. But the bonds of love and loyalty run oh so strong.

Note: The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, #2 in the series, might be slightly less appropriate as a read-aloud if you or your kids dislike a) romance between adults, somewhat arranged by their children, and b) romance between thirteen year olds (minor plot thread). Just so's you know.


In other news, we ordered and have been having fun with Amazing Leonardo da Vinci Inventions You Can Build Yourself. Fun as in, making polyhedra with toothpicks and marshmallows, attempting to make moldable plastic with vinegar and heavy cream, and concocting paint from sidewalk chalk dust and eggs.

Ian's planning to try re-creating da Vinci's walk-on-water shoes. Perhaps in time for a test run at our pool-intensive getaway with friends next week ...

4 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

I am so absurdly excited about this book!!!

Danica Newton said...

Love the polyhedra! We used to make those when I taught 3-D shapes in the Spring semester, 2nd grade, but we used gumdrops because they 'hold on' to the toothpicks better. I also remember reading 'The Greedy Triangle' when I introduced polygons in the Fall.

Julie said...

Awesome shoe idea! Now I just need a book thats just as fabulous to read with my boys..it's sort of a girl book right?

Vanessa said...

I don't know the Penderwick's or the Saturday's! The do it yourself book looks like a lot of fun.