Friday, January 7, 2011

Well, This is Cool

Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl TechnologyEgads! My world is rocked. Why? I just discovered that Amazon seems to have cleared the final hurdle to Kindle ownership for so many of us on one of those pesky book budgets.


YOU CAN NOW LEND AND BORROW BOOKS WITH OTHER KINDLE USERS. It's like a giant library of mutually plundering bibliophiles! Yippee!

If you don't have a Kindle, try to get one. (I know, I'm so helpful with my suggestions.) Or download the free Kindle software, as I did, onto your portable electronic device -- iPod, iPad, whatever. Or even use it on your computer. Then, follow the lending instructions here. I notice that they use Mockingjay as an example. Good idea!

You can join a Facebook group of people who list what they have to loan or would like to borrow here.


Here's another cool thing for iDevice users: Streaks. Do you make resolutions for the New Year? I know some folks do; others think they're akin to the last plague in Revelation. If you're leery of making resolutions just for fear of breaking them, read this post and perhaps reconsider. But anyway. Streaks is great for working on new habits. If you're like me and have difficulty forming new habits ("This year I will work with the kids on their AWANA verses every single day at breakfast!"  A week later: "Verses? What verses?") you'll appreciate the neat visual tracking of your habit development. The kids and I each have at least one goal calendar, and Eliza has taken it upon herself to make sure we maintain our streaks every day.

"Did you do your exercises yet today, Mama?" she demands, finger poised over the calendar.

Ah. Just what I need. A tender martinet.

(STREAKS image from Fresh Apps)

2 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

I have a Kindle and I'd *love* to share books with you! I have all 3 in the Hunger Games series ... let me know what else you're looking for.

Vanessa said...

I have Bush's new book on my kindle and Mr. Bittman's newest book, and a few others I think you would like. Sharing is always better.